Calling all Runners & Walkers in Central Kentucky
Running races can be a fun, motivating, and confidence-boosting experience, but some runners are hesitant to enter their first road race. Signing up for a race will keep you motivated to run, as the deadline of the race approaches. Your running schedule will have more structure as you prepare for the race ahead. Some races also benefit local charities, so it may be an opportunity to support those in need in your community. Here is a list of local opportunities to run or walk in races in the Central Kentucky area.
- Shamrock Shuffle 3K on March 17, 2018 in Lexington KY: Please join us to walk, shuffle, or run in this annual St. Patrick’s Day tradition! The Shamrock Shuffle 3K is locally organized, and 100% of the proceeds stay local benefiting Lexington Habitat for Humanity.
- Quarter Horse Marathon Relay on March 24, 2018: Come to Central Kentucky for a marathon like you’ve never seen. Grab a team and run the Quarter Horse Marathon Relay at White Hall Park near Richmond, KY.
- Run for the Ronald 5K on March 24, 2018 in Richmond KY: Run for Ronald 5K
Join EKU Alpha Delta Pi for the 2nd Run for Ronald 5K. All proceeds raised will go to Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC).
- Run the Bluegrass on March 31, 2018 in Lexington KY: America’s Prettiest Half-Marathon through Lexington, Kentucky’s majestic Thoroughbred Farms, starting and finishing on Keeneland Race Course’s iconic grounds. In 2018, we race on Saturday, March 31 at 8:55am.
- Heads Up Heel Down 5K Race on April 26-29, 2018 in Lexington at 6:30pm at the Kentucky Horse Park. This is our 4th Annual 5K event held in conjunction with the Kentucky Three-Day Event. A portion of proceeds from the Head Up Heels Down 5K will be donated to Junior Achievement of the Bluegrass.
- Officer Daniel Ellis Memorial 5K on April 28, 2018 in Richmond KY. Join us for the 3rd Annual Officer Daniel Ellis Memorial 5K Run/Walk presented by Baptist Health. The race will take place on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 8:30am at Richmond Centre Mall in Richmond, KY.
- Kentucky Hands & Voices SuperHEARo 5K run/walk on May 19, 2018, presented by Bluegrass Hearing Clinic in Richmond KY. There will be a 1-mile Kids Fun Run as well as a Virtual 5K option for those who cannot attend in person. Participants are encouraged to dress up as their favorite superhero!
- A MidSummer Night’s Run 5K in August (dates pending) Lexington KY: Baptist Health is proud to present A Midsummer Night’s Run.
- Tracks for Packs 5K Run/Walk in September (dates pending) at Richmond Centre, Richmond KY. Proceeds from the race will benefit the Madison County Backpack Program.
- The Bourbon Chase on October 12-13, 2018 in Lexington KY: The Bourbon Chase celebrates the best of Kentucky. It is a 200-mile journey across the Bluegrass State – through our historic bourbon distilleries, across our majestic horse country, and into our enchanting small towns.
- Historic Haunt 5K/10K and Little Gobblins Run in October (dates pending) in Richmond KY. This 5K/10K is designed to be more than just a race. This is designed to be an event to showcase the White Hall State Historic Site and give entire families an event to look forward to. Young kids can do the Little Gobblins Run and everyone else can pick either the 5K or 10K.
Get Fit for the Race at Soft Shoe with Good Running Shoes
The best running shoes are shoes that will be kind and gentle on your feet throughout any running exercise, whether a 5K, 10K or full marathon. This benefit will reflect itself in its most striking way immediately after your run or race. The way your feet feel AFTER the run or long walk is a good indication if you have the right shoes for your feet. How do you know which running shoe is best for you?
Selecting a good pair of running shoes comes down to pronation. This term simply refers to the degree your foot rotates toward the inside when you run. There are two kinds of runners: One who has too much pronation (whose foot rotates too much while running) and one who has insufficient pronation (whose foot barely rotates inward when running). The best way to get a pair that is right for you is by stopping into Soft Shoe to visit Albert, our latest technology 3-D Foot Scanner.
There are only twenty Alberts in the entire country, two of which reside at Soft Shoe in Richmond KY. We are the only location in Central Kentucky that offer this 3-D scanning, and we do so at no cost to you. Our staff is trained on how to properly scan your feet, analyze and explain the results as well as matching the correct running shoes and orthotics to your feet’s needs.
What does Albert do? The new scanning system, dubbed Albert, consists of a device that, like previous iterations, can measure pressure and sizing. It also conducts 3-D imaging, assesses pronation and has the ability to track gait. How does Albert accomplish this? This new foot scanner, which arrived at our store in early August 2017, features 18 digital cameras, 960 infrared LEDs and receptors, and over 5,000 gold plated barometric sensors.
Watch Albert at work with this video:
Soft Shoe carries premium brands of Running Shoes
We currently carry the following brands of walking and running shoes: Aetrex, Brooks, Asics, Hoka One One, New Balance, On, Nike, Saucony, Merrell, Vionic and more. Stop in to see our full inventory!