Tips to Reduce Stress during the Holiday Season
“80% of Americans say they have holiday stress and nearly one-third admit shopping for gifts is the main reason, according to a study by Chase Card Services.”
The holiday season is the most wonderful time of the year with time spent with family and friends, sipping on hot cocoa, listening to holiday music, watching holiday movie classics, decorating the tree, finding the perfect gift for our loved ones, snuggling by the fireplace, watching the kids open presents, enjoying holiday cookies and treats, and celebrating the holidays with your community at local festivals & parades. Yet this time of the year also causes stress as you endure the hustle and bustle of the crowds while you strive to find the perfect gifts for your long list of family and friends yet also staying within your budget.
So here’s some ways to reduce stress during the holidays:
Take mindful meditation breaks. Throughout the day and evening as you make your holiday preparations, stop occasionally to close your eyes, take several deep breaths, meditate and just relax. Imagine yourself in a better place and time, for example enjoying Christmas morning around the fireplace and decorated tree, as you watch your children and family opening up their presents … and you’ll begin to realize the payoff of your hard work will soon be here. *Here’s a beginner’s instruction on mindful meditation.
Think positively and be forgiving. Another main stressors during the holidays can be dealing with family members. So instead of getting easily annoyed, try to understand and see beyond their actions to tune into their motivations. While they may offer unsolicited advice, their motivation may just be out their want to offer help, advice and love in their own unique way.
Exercise, stretch and yoga. Exercising regularly has shown not only to boost energy levels, but also can elevate mood. Despite the demands on your time, keep to a regular schedule of exercising at your level, which could include walking, running, cardio, yoga, and weight training or optimally a combination of all of the above. It’s imperative to not give into the temptation to let your regular exercise routine slack during the holidays.
“Indeed, when regular exercisers are inactive, they begin to feel depressed and fatigued after just one week, according to a study from scientists at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland.”
Eat healthy. Christmas time is a season of tempting treats that are filled with sugary, empty calories which can decrease focus, energy and positive moods. While it’s perfectly normal and acceptable to indulge in ‘modest’ portions of desserts, holiday drinks and food, make sure the majority of your diet come from lean meats and proteins, vegetables and fruits, and healthy fats.
Make a list and check it twice. Writing lists have shown to decrease stress, improve focus and productivity, so make sure you write down your lists into two categories: “Must Do” and “Would be Nice to Do”. Understand the difference of getting the essentials completed without overtaxing your schedule or pocketbook with unnecessary frills, activities or gifts you cannot afford. In being honest with yourself on what is necessary and what is not, you can reduce stress and actually enjoy the holiday season.
Shop at Soft Shoe. Our staff is here to help you find the perfect gift with our award-winning customer service*. We have gift ideas that will inspire you for everyone on your list and for those who just can’t decide we have Soft Shoe Gift Cards (that can be purchased for any value). We have something for everyone at Soft Shoe with quality brands of apparel, shoes, boots, workboots, kids shoes, jewelry, accessories, socks and more. To make your holiday season a little sweeter, we are featuring a Sperry Duck Boot Giveaway and an online holiday shopping coupon (see below).
Soft Shoe’s Featured Holiday Gift Ideas
GIFT IDEA #1: Apparel for the ladies in your life.
Have you been to Soft Shoe lately? If not, you have to see all the new inventory including our NEW Boutique at Soft Shoe with ladies apparel from Mudpie, Tru Luxe, Simply Southern, Southern Marsh, True Grit, Southern Fried Cotton, Patagonia and many more brands. We hand select each piece for their style, price and quality.
GIFT IDEA #2: Pudus™ Slipper Socks
The slipper socks come in a variety of patterns, which are on the 2018 list of Oprah’s Favorite Things:
“Super-cushy Pudus slipper socks were a real crowd-pleaser when we wore them at my house last Christmas. I put on these cozy sock slippers for the Favorite Things shoot, and I loved them! So will anyone you give them to, from toddlers to grandmas.”—Oprah
Designed in-house to reflect our core values of comfort, family, relaxation and positivity, Pudus™ are a must-have accessory for any winter wardrobe. Worn by A-list celebrities and featured on Good Morning America, Oprah’s Favorite Things, Rachael Ray, The View, Entertainment Tonight and in dozens of other publications, Pudus™ pamper, snuggle and hug.
GIFT IDEA #3: North Face Outerwear & Patagonia Tees for Men
- Men’s Campshire Full Zip Jacket & Vest: Layer for the campsite with North Face’s warm full-zip fleece or vest that offers heavyweight warmth and coziness.
- Gordon’s Lyons Alpine Jacket: Cold fall hikes will be a thing of the past with this lightweight recycled polyester fleece featuring stylish colorblocking, and a full-length zip for easy on-off.
- Men’s Pullover Big Bear Hoodie: Plot the next day’s adventures on cool fall nights at the campsite with a pullover hoodie that features a drawcord hood and kangaroo hand pocket for extra coverage when temps drop and the map’s still out.
- Patagonia’s Men’s Long-Sleeved Shop Sticker Responsibili-Tee: This 100% recycled long-sleeved T-shirt is made from 4.8 plastic bottles and .26 pounds of fabric scrap, and saves 63 gallons of water compared to a conventional cotton T-shirt. Fair Trade Certified™ sewn.
GIFT IDEA #4: Simply Southern and Kentucky Themed Tees for Women
Shop local and promote local … show off your Kentucky pride!
GIFT IDEA #5: Ugg Boots
- Bailey Bow II Boot: We added silky bows to our icon for a sweet, feminine take. Crafted with soft sheepskin, this versatile boot now features two new updates: it’s pretreated against water and stains and features our lightweight sole for extra cushioning, durability, and traction. Pair with practically anything, from athleisure wear to flowy dresses.
- Classic Short II Boot: Our Classic boot was originally worn by surfers to keep warm after early-morning sessions, and has since become iconic for its soft sheepskin and enduring design. The Classic II features two new updates: stain-and-water resistance and a light
weight sole to increase cushioning, durability, and traction. These versatile boots pair well with practically anything – try loose boyfriend jeans and a velvet top.
- Jeovana Boot: For when it’s winter but you also want to wear heels, this super-flattering wedge boot is completely waterproof and built to keep you warm in harsh conditions. With extra insulation and an outsole that keeps its flexibility and grip even in the coldest temps, the Jeovana is perfect for both winter parties and cold-weather day wear.
GIFT IDEA #6: Simply Southern Sherpa Pullovers & Accessories
- The Simply Southern Preppy Collection Sherpa Pullover is made with a soft frosty tipped Sherpa fabric, to keep you warm without sacrificing your style. The pullovers have tipped pile textured fabric that is extremely soft to the touch. The stand up collar and quarter zip neckline enhance the look of this comfy pullover, complete with side open hand pockets.
- Simply Southern Gift Line also has a large selection of stocking-stuffers and gifts including badge reels, contact cases, jewelry, key fobs, key IDs, phone sleeves, phone wallets, pocket mirrors, pedicure sets, glam bags, cosmetic bags, clutches, lunch bags, hipster bags, totes, string bags and backpacks.
GIFT IDEA #7: Soft Shoe Gift Cards … because gift cards always fit!
Sperry Duck Boots Giveaway
To get into the holiday gift-giving spirit, we are offering a giveaway for men or women’s Sperry Duck Boots. The versatile Sperry Saltwater Duck Boots let you take off on your next adventure without having to worry about your destination’s weather and terrain. No matter where you’re headed, the Saltwater Duck Boots have you covered with adaptable, all-weather comfort, so there’s no need to pack a bunch of different shoes just in case you run into inclement conditions.
These waterproof, durable boots are built with materials and features designed specifically for comfort, convenience and long life. The micro-fleece lining provides cozy warmth, while the rubber sole with our signature Wave-Siping™ ensures traction on both wet and dry surfaces. Choose from various color combinations to find the style that’s right for you. Who says functional and adventurous can’t also be fashionable?
HOW TO ENTER:
- Visit our Instagram page from December 10th to 17th, 2018
- Like the post featuring the Giveaway
- Follow us on Instagram.
- Tag as many friends as you like! (Each tag counts for an additional entry.)
- Giveaway ends on December 17th at noon. Winner will be announced that day. Participants must be 13 years or older and able to pick up their prize at our store in Richmond KY.
Another Holiday Shopping Stress-Reliever … our Holiday Coupon
*For three years in a row, Soft Shoe has won Footwear Insight’s national GOLD MEDAL SERVICE AWARD for “Outstanding Customer Service”: 2016, 2017 & 2018