Spring has nearly Sprung
The first day of Spring is just four weeks away after a long, cold winter here in the Bluegrass. We are all ready for warmer weather, more hours of daylight, and our favorite outdoor activities. Whether your favorite Spring activity is gardening, walking, running, hiking, biking, taking the kids the park, garage sailing, or picnicking, we got you covered with quality, comfortable and premium brand running shoes, sandals, hiking boots and walking shoes.
Soft Shoe’s Collaboration with Miss Hope – Chacos Giveaway
To get your Spring-ready, we are excited to announce our next giveaway of a pair of Chacos from Soft Shoe. Miss Hope, Beauty and Lifestyle Blogger/Vlogger of Richmond KY, will be assisting the giveaway on her social media and her blog (see links below), so check both out for details on how to enter! The giveaway is now closed.
Congrats Anne Morrison!
A little about Miss Hope:
“My name is Hope Harris and I’m a 24 year old Kentucky based lifestyle blogger and vlogger! I am originally from a small town in Eastern Kentucky, and I moved to Madison County back in 2014 with my husband. I’m also a dog mom to a cute Chihuahua and a sassy Pitbull/Mini Pinscher rescue pup!
I have been a lifestyle blogger and vlogger for a while now, and just recently re-branded so I could not only focus on my original content, but also add some local things into the mix. Localizing my blog was something I really wanted to focus on for 2018, because there are so many amazing businesses in the area.
I’m beyond excited to be working with Soft Shoe for my first localized post and giveaway! I couldn’t have asked for a better collaboration to start off with, and I had so much fun working on this content. Good luck to everyone who enters the giveaway, and thank you to Soft Shoe for putting together such an amazing collaboration!”
Follow Miss Hope:
- Hope Harris, Beauty and Lifestyle Blogger/Vlogger
- Website: www.misshopeelizabethblog.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- YouTube | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest
Let’s Take a Walk
More than 2,400 years ago, Hippocrates said, “Walking is a man’s best medicine,” and these words still prove true. Not only is walking good for the mind, it’s great for your health. Walk an average of 9 miles per week is linked to a 22% lower death rate. Walking an average of 3 hours per week is linked to 35% lower risk of heart attack and cardiac death and 34% lower risk of stroke.
“The cardiovascular benefits of walking are biologically plausible; like other forms of regular moderate exercise, walking improves cardiac risk factors such as cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, vascular stiffness and inflammation, and mental stress.” – Harvard Health
As opposed to many other routines, walking is easier for beginners and easier on the body. Studies show that walking outside, as opposed to a treadmill, also offers a boost to your mental and physical well-being including improved short-term memory, restored mental energy, stress relief, reduced inflammation, better vision and improved concentration.
Local Walking Trails in Madison County KY & Surrounding Counties
- Camp Catalpa: located on the East Side of Lake Reba. In the 1970’s the land was designated as a bird sanctuary by meeting guidelines including: hunting is not allowed, trees are plentiful, and there is a water source. The Parks & Recreation of Richmond KY recently expanded the 0.5 Mile Walking Trail to a 2 Mile Walking Loop. [More Info]
- Indian Fort Mountain Trail: The Berea College Forest is one of the oldest managed private forests in the United States. The forest has been producing wood products and drinking water for Madison County since 1898. In this forest the Indian Fort Mountain Trail receives thousands of hikers every year. [More info & Map of the Trail]
- John B. Stephenson Memorial Trail: From the city municipal utilities building on Harrison Road, the trail leaves the parking lot at the northeast end and parallels Brushy Fork to a bridge at the confluence of Brushy Fork and Silver Creek. This confluence was the location of one of Daniel Boone’s camps and it is likely this multiuse trail follows a portion of the historic Boone Trace. From the confluence, the trail continues up Silver Creek along the edge of a field owned by the college and then runs along the rear of a residential development before ending at Short Line Pike. [Info and Trail Map]
- Legacy Trail: The Legacy Trail runs north and south through Lexington among green spaces, neighborhoods and parks. The trail joins Kentucky Horse Park and the Lexington YMCA but there are plans to extend it south beyond the YMCA to the memorial art garden named for African American jockey, and multiple Kentucky Derby champion, Isaac Murphy. The popular trail is steeped in Kentucky’s horse history, and families will enjoy the horse park, which features 1,200-acre working farm, museums and horse shows. [Info & Trail Map]
- The Pinnacle: This hike leads to miles of unhindered views in every direction, with multiple spots like the East Pinnacle, West Pinnacle, Buzzards Roost and Eagles Nest to see different views of Kentucky. This is a trip with multiple sites to visit over the course of a day. Visiting all five would equal around 5 miles, or you can choose to only go to one, as there are some slightly strenuous hills. The most visited is the Main Lookout, and the West Pinnacle offers a little rock climbing. [More info & Map of the Trail]
- Raven Run Nature Sanctuary: Raven Run is a unique, 734-acre nature sanctuary located just outside of Lexington. The park borders the Kentucky River and provides a great place for hiking and wildlife viewing. Ten miles of trails pass through meadows, woodlands and streams characteristic of the inner Bluegrass. Historic remnants of early 19th century settlers can also be found throughout the park. [Info & Map]
- White Hall Park: White Hall Park is a great place to run or walk. There are bathrooms, water fountains, play ground and a picnic shelter. [Trail Map]
Now that we have our wishlist of trails to explore, let’s get you suited up with premium hiking and running shoes to make your journey more comfortable and enjoyable.
Good Shoes take you to Great Places
Birkenstock Sandals & Shoes at Soft Shoe
Birkenstock has been sold in the U.S. for 50 years and is sold in approximately 90 countries worldwide. Their popularity not only for their classic look but for their comfort and support. At Birkenstock, tradition and heritage are important hallmarks of a brand that dates back not years or even decades, but centuries. Birkenstock is deeply rooted in the fine art of crafting premium quality shoes that are good for you. Since 1774, Birkenstock has passed this commitment down from one generation to the next. The result is the absolute best in quality, comfort and support.
It starts with an extraordinary footbed. At the heart of every Birkenstock sandal, clog, boot and shoe is the footbed that started it all. That’s right, Birkenstock invented the contoured footbed, introducing the concept in the 1930s for anatomically shaped insoles with incredible support. Since then, many have tried to copy the idea, but there is only one that can proudly bear the Birkenstock name. Simple yet refined. Birkenstock sets the standard for comfort, quality and functionality, and it all starts with our carefully selected, high-quality materials from sustainable sources.
Here is Soft Shoe’s current inventory of Birkenstocks:
Chaco Sandals at Soft Shoe
Chaco creates premim footwear and accessories for the outdoor-minded. They make simple, versatile products that provide superior comfort and durability. Chaco believes life is enriched through outdoor adventure, travel and community. The founder, a Colorado rafting guide, started “Gecko” sandals out of his home in Paonia , CO. His “Ultimate Sport Sandal” focuses on maximum comfort and durability. Geckos, with their suction-padded feet, becomes a symbol for the sandal’s traction in churning whitewater.
Chaco offers the industry’s only sandal with a 360 degree customizable fit. Chaco products are supportive and durable, promoting healthy alignment and arch support for all-day wear. The Luvseat™ Footbed built into every pair of Chaco footwear, provides contoured arch support in a product so dependable, every single style is certified by the American Podiatric Medical Association.
Here is Soft Shoe’s current inventory of Chacos: